• From a sitting position, bend your knees to the right and shift your feet to the left, so that your left ankle ends up resting in the arch of your right foot
• Softly push your sit bones down into the mat to lengthen the spine as you inhale. Then, with the support of your arms, twist towards the right as you exhale. Your left hip may raise a little.
• Turn your head and neck last, firmly pressing the fingertips of your right hand into the floor.
• Keep lengthening your spine as you inhale. Explore the depth of your twist as you exhale. Stay for a few breaths.
• To come out of the pose, release your hands, bring your torso to the front and straighten out your legs.
• Repeat on the other side.
• If your sit bones are not firmly grounded (if you're tilting onto the twisting side) try sitting up on a thickly folded blanket.
• Keeps you maintain and develop the freedom of movement that allows you to turn round and look behind you. • Massages your abdominal organs, which may help with the digestive process.
Watch out for...
• Ground your sit-bones to lengthen the spine. From that point, allow your hips to follow your spine in the twist to some extent.
• Keeping length in the spine is more important than the depth of your twist. So we rotate the spine in neutral extension.
• For a lighter variation, you can sit sideways on a chair, with the back of the chair to your right. Bring your knees together and heels directly below the knees. Exhale and twist toward the back of the chair. Hold onto the sides of the chair and make a movement as if you were trying to pull the chair apart.
• You can increase the challenge further by changing the position of your arms and hands. Exhale and swing your right arm around behind your back as you twist to the right. Hold the left arm just at the elbow, if you can reach. Otherwise take hold of your shirt. Turn your left arm outward and slip the hand under the right knee, palm on the ground.
Variation Half Lord Of The Fishes Pose Ardha Matsyendrasana
Beginner Option Marichi's Pose C Marichyasana C
Alternative Pose Revolved Triangle Pose Parivrtta Trikonasana
If you have any questions about Lotus Leaf Yoga, please don't hesitate to get in touch and I'll be happy to help. email@example.com text: 07 514 777 777